In the movie “When Harry Met Sally” Billy Crystal (can’t remember the part he played) says that whenever he gets a new book he reads the last page first-so that if he should die before he finishes it he knows how it ends (this is not a spoiler folks-this will not have you knowing how the movie ends). And Carrie Koch said “Life is uncertain,eat dessert first.” Carrie ALSO said “Life is mind over matter. The people who mind don’t matter, and the people who matter don’t mind. I can do whatever I put my mind to.” This second one is something that I say to myself every day.
ANY WAY the Billy Crystal bit leads into what I am going to go on about. I do something similar with movies. Movies I have already seen, I hasten to add. If I am watching a movie on DVD I will whiz through to my favourite scene-just in case I die, the world ends, my dvd player gives up the ghost etc etc. Here are some of my favourites. I will try not to make any spoilers:-
1 “White Heat” –obvious here the “Made it ma, TOP OF THE WORLD” bit.
2. “Match Point”-the bit were James Ellis solves the crime.
3. “Love Actually”-the cue card bit (even though I know from experience it doesn’t work like this in real life-but I AM OVER HER!!)
4 “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid”- the end bit when he says “did you see Le Forge out there?”
5.”Hi Fidelity”- the Bruce Springsteen bit
6 “Annie Hall” –the scene with the movie queue
7. “The Bourne Ultimatum” – the bit at the end just before the music kicks in and the knowing smile on her face.
8 “True Romance”-my number one favourite movie here- 3 bits here- Alabama’s monologues at start and end (but you need to see the whole movie for the second one to make sense)-(that’s 2) and the Clifford Worley /Vincenzo Coccotti scene
was going to stop here but feel obliged to make it to 10
9. “The Godfather” –the end bit as the door is shut
10. “Stranger than Fiction” –the bit where Harold plays guitar in Ana’s apartment (mind you the scene where he first meets her is pretty good too-hubba)
Well that’s it. What about you lot? What bit of a movie would yous fast forward to at the start-JUST IN CASE? but the bonus here is-if nothing happens you get to see it twice!